We Have Three Convenient Office Locations In Northern Virginia   |   Manassas, Fairfax, and Warrenton

Locklin & Coleman, PLLC - Put Our Experience On Your Side
Kevin L Locklin | Recognized by Best Lawyers | 2022

Local: 703-659-1961
Toll-Free: 866-719-4394

CALL TO SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION
We Operate On A Contingency Fee Basis

9253 Mosby Street | Suite 100
Manassas, VA 20110

Locklin & Coleman, PLLC - Put Our Experience On Your Side
Kevin L Locklin | Recognized by Best Lawyers | 2022

Local: 703-659-1961
Toll-Free: 866-719-4394

CALL TO SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION
We Operate On A Contingency Fee Basis

9253 Mosby Street | Suite 100 | Manassas, VA 20110

In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, we are offering virtual consultations for all our existing and new clients. Call or Email or us to start the process, and we will schedule the initial consult to take place via Facetime, Skype, Zoom, Teams, or other services based on client needs.

A Track Record Of Results In Personal Injury Litigation

Since we began representing victims of negligence, our lawyers have been committed to providing smart and aggressive representation in The Law Offices of Locklin & Coleman, PLLC

The role of speed in pedestrian accidents

There are many factors that determine how badly someone is going to be hurt in a pedestrian accident, such as the height of the individual, the type of car that hits them, exactly how the crash occurs, the time it takes for emergency crews to respond and the like.

Perhaps the most important factor is the speed of the vehicle at the moment of impact.

A fast-rising curve for injuries and death

When you plot out the speed at which cars are traveling and the odds that the accident will result in a pedestrian fatality, there is just the slightest rise from one mile per hour to about 25 miles per hour. Between 30 and 50 miles per hour, though, there is an incredible increase in the chance of a pedestrian fatality. The line shoots upward from roughly a 10% chance at 30 miles per hour to nearly a 90% chance at 50 miles per hour.

This shows just why residential speed limits are so important. Drivers often speed through these zones, feeling like the road is wide and traffic is thin, so there’s no reason to drive at 25 miles per hour. Drivers often times forget that the speed limits are set, in part, to keep pedestrians safe. It’s very clear that the danger pedestrians face is massively higher if drivers speed. Speed could be the difference between life and death for a child who darts into the road unexpectedly.

Your options after a pedestrian accident

Have you been injured in a crash or lost a loved one? If the driver was at fault, be sure you know exactly what options you have. Pedestrian accidents can be devastating to your career, your life and your future. Don’t hesitate to seek fair compensation for your losses.

Attorneys Brian P Coleman and Kevin L Locklin
FindLaw Network